This ERS Vision Live which took place on 21 February focused on the improvement of personalised biological treatment of asthma and COPD. The expert panellists discussed key areas and addressed questions, such as:
- Type 2-high severe asthma - how to choose between the 6 different biologicals in Type 2-high severe asthma and how to monitor the response?
- Type 2-low severe asthma - is neutrophilic asthma a misconception (misnomer)? Differences between markers and makers (drivers) of disease. Roles of mast cells and other mechanisms.
- Biologic treatment for COPD - why did previous trials of biologics fail in COPD? Will the biologic treatment for COPD become a reality? and for which patients?
- Guy Brusselle - Professor and Head of the Department of Respiratory Medicine at Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium.
- Celeste Porsbjerg - Professor of Severe Asthma at the Department of Respiratory Medicine, Bispebjerg Hospital, Copenhagen, Head of the severe asthma clinic and Chair of the Respiratory Research Unit.
- Arnaud Bourdin - Professor at the Department of Respiratory Medicine in Montpellier, France, Head of the research team in INSERM unit 1046 and GINA advocate.
- Anneke Ten Brinke - Head of the Severe Asthma Center at Medical Center Leeuwarden, Leeuwarden, the Netherlands and Chair of the Dutch Severe Asthma Registry.
- Parameswaran Nair - Frederick E. Hargreave Teva Innovation Chair in Airway Diseases & Professor of Medicine in the Division of Respirology at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
- Johann Christian Virchow - Professor of Medicine, Head of the departments of respiratory medicine (pneumology) and intensive care medicine at the Universitätsmedizin in Rostock, Germany.